Monday, August 16, 2010

What can I do to help my best friend cope with depression after a break up?

My best friend's girlfriend of about two years broke up with him sometime in May, and he's been very depressed ever since then. It's been almost five months, and the level of depression has remained the same.





We go to school together and he seems to get through the day quite normally, but when nighttime hits and he's all alone in his dorm, the depression hits him, and he'll text me that he's depressed about it again.





Over the summer, he decided he wanted to burn all of the pictures and memories that he had of her, so we had a burning party at my house and he seemed to be really happy that night. I saw a glow in his eyes that I haven't seen in a long time. But that night, when he went home, the depression hit again.





He claims he doesn't feel like himself and he's only putting on a fa cad to make the pain go away. I try to talk him through his depression at night, but he refuses to talk after a certain point in our conversation. He doesn't open up as much as I feel he should, he just tells me that he doesn't know what happened to him or who he is anymore.





Usually when he gets drunk he'll talk more, and he'll put the offer on the table to talk about his ex and how bad the break up hurt him. He says he runs on love and he doesn't think he'll be able to love again because he put too much of his heart into a relationship where he got hurt in the end. He told me that his friends will help him through, but it's not the same as being loved by someone. I suggested talking to a therapist, but he said ';Why would I talk to a complete stranger when I can't even talk to my closest friends?';





I've done all I can, and I'm starting to give up on myself because I haven't done anything to help him. He claims that I'm the only one who is still there out of our small group of friends, because everyone else is sick of hearing the same old story. However, I will always be there for him because I don't want to see him crack, and I know he will if he doesn't have anyone there for him. I want to see my best friend happy again.





I don't know what to do anymore. Does anyone know what I can do to help my best friend be happy again?What can I do to help my best friend cope with depression after a break up?
If you start to see signs of him trying to hurt himself get professional help....for now though i think times the only thing that'll help him. keep giving him support until he meets some one new...or just completely lets it blow overWhat can I do to help my best friend cope with depression after a break up?
Ria, I read your situation and 1/2 of me can understand - and the other 1/2 of me is shaking my head. I apologize in advance if you take my comments the wrong way.





What is missing from your scenario is that you have only provided a one sided story. Bottom line, Who, What, When, Where, Why... ... we need the REASON(s) the boyfriend or girlfriend broke it off. That would tremendously allow us, the reader, to help provide a better answer.





Who broke it off?


Why? Why did he or she break it off?


What happened that was SO bad that the relationship ended?


When did the breakup happen; right after a certain problem or was this breakup happening over time??


Why did the relationship end??





You gave all these examples of anguish and depression over months; a hollow party to celebrate a breakup yet there is still lingering sorrow. How depressingly dreary!! This makes the readers want to dry heave...





Its been 5 months since May. And he was with this girl for 2 years and you're his best friend? If you are his best friend then you would have developed some type of relationship with his girlfriend over the past 2 years, right? Can't you go to his girlfriend and talk to her to find closure for both of them? If you had spoken with the girlfriend back in May I venture to say you wouldn't have posted this question.





Sorry but I have to comment on the drunken stupor scene... heartache and heartbreak is part of life. Better to have loved and lived than to live and never have loved at all. Live and Learn and move on to the next best love affair.





Also, what's the deal for saying 'he told me that his friends will help him through' yet the next paragraph he says, 'He claims that I'm the only one who is still there out of our small group of friends, because everyone else is sick of hearing the same old story'. CONTRADICTORY wouldn't you say. What is the truth here?





Truth be told, this guy does not need therapy. This guy sounds rather weak to let his life dissolve over lost love. Though he claims you are helping by being there for him its a lost cause if he continues to drop down into further depression. You even say you're giving up. Consider this guy already CRACKED. Let him pull himself out just like the rest of his friends have done.





Come on, you been doing the same song and dance for the past 5 months. It old already.
Tell him that there is plenty of girls better than that slut,who probably dumped him because he was too good for her. If he asks if you would date him,even if you wouldn't, say yes! If you say no,that'll make him even more depressed! Just be there for him, and find the girl who dumped him. Give her a little ';talking to'; if you know what I mean.....

No comments:

Post a Comment